Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

"The Social Network"

Go down 
+3
i95
Agent 13
Independent George
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
i95
Needs Help
i95

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

"The Social Network" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:44 am

My favorite exchange in "The Social Network" and in the deposition setting:

Lawyer: Did you initially give $1000 to be used in the startup of theFacebook.com?

Eduardo Saverin: Yes.

Lawyer: And then did you also give an additional $18000 after that?

Lawyer: So $1000 plus $18000 makes a total of $19000 that you gave...

Mark Zuckerberg: Hang on. Wait. I just want to check your math. (Scribbles on paper.) Yeah, I got the same thing. Go on.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

Number of posts : 4130
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 am

i95 wrote:
My favorite exchange in "The Social Network" and in the deposition setting:

Lawyer: Did you initially give $1000 to be used in the startup of theFacebook.com?

Lawyer: And then did you also give an additional $18000 after that?

Lawyer: So $1000 plus $18000 makes a total of $19000 that you gave...

Mark Zuckerberg: Hang on. Wait. I just want to check your math. (Scribbles on paper.) Yeah, I got the same thing. Go on.

That was good. I also liked the line “You’re not an asshole, Mark. You’re just trying so hard to be one.”
Back to top Go down
https://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
i95
Needs Help
i95

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 am

And "...you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole."
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 12:57 pm

It's simple, folks. It's the genius of Aaron Sorkin. If you liked The Social Network, you probably also liked The West Wing, Sports Night, The American President and A Few Good Men.

If you didn't, you may try to re-watch them now. I know I didn't fully appreciate A Few Good Men until after I became a fan of The West Wing.
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 pm

i95 wrote:
Speaking of current movies, have you 'tards seen:

"The Social Network" - Page 2 Faf99_Emma-Stone-Easy-A-Movie-Poster-PHOTOS1

Very John Hughes-esque INCLUDING (and I know I've
posted this before) Cary Brothers' great Thompson Twins
cover, "If You Were Here," on the film's soundtrack.

This is partially a blatant attempt at drawing i95 back out into the light, and also a second on his movie recommendation (side note: It took me FOREVER to find where this was posted). I just caught it this past weekend from the RedBox. Well worth a buck...and probably would have even been worth the money at the theater. Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson (who play Emma Stone's parents) are worth the price alone. May have some use of the foul language that may be inappropriate for your littlest ears.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 am

what's the Red Box?

is it some sort of southern movie theatre chain?

good popcorn?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:27 am

clothier wrote:
what's the Red Box?

I believe it's a veiled menstruation reference.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 am

I just caught up with the Social Network movie last weekend. I, like Georgie am an unabashed Aaron Sorkin freak, but while I thought the movie was very good I believe all of the praise heaped upon it is a bit much.

I also saw The Town. While I generally don't think much of Ben Affleck, his co-writing, directing and (surprisingly) acting in this flick are very impressive.
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 am

clothier wrote:
what's the Red Box?

is it some sort of southern movie theatre chain?

good popcorn?

Good God. Where do you live? 1940?

http://www.redbox.com/
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
I just caught up with the Social Network movie last weekend. I, like Georgie am an unabashed Aaron Sorkin freak, but while I thought the movie was very good I believe all of the praise heaped upon it is a bit much.

I don't know why, but this movie seems to be getting some Golden Globe backlash. I pretty much read the same exact comment in my FB feed yesterday. "Good movie...but, best picture? No." Or something to that effect...

I liked it. I don't know about "Best Picture" - but, admittedly, I haven't seen all of the other contenders. I did like it a lot better when it was more of an underdog picture that everyone was surprised did well. Lastly, I would like to watch it again. If it has "rewatchability," then it will likely be a staple on TNT or USA for years and EVERYONE will get sick of it.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 am

Independent George wrote:
pastrami-on-wry wrote:

I don't know why, but this movie seems to be getting some Golden Globe backlash. I pretty much read the same exact comment in my FB feed yesterday. "Good movie...but, best picture? No." Or something to that effect...

I liked it. I don't know about "Best Picture" - but, admittedly, I haven't seen all of the other contenders. I did like it a lot better when it was more of an underdog picture that everyone was surprised did well. Lastly, I would like to watch it again. If it has "rewatchability," then it will likely be a staple on TNT or USA for years and EVERYONE will get sick of it.

Your point here is a good one. I watched it pre-Globes but well after huge amounts of praise were already heaped on this movie. Expectations definitely do play a role in our eventual rating of a movie. I, admittedly, was judging the Social Network in the framework of it being considered by many "the best movie of the year". Using that framework the fact that it was a smart, entertaining film just didn't seem to be enough for me.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 am

well, i'll be damned. there's a "red box" in my kroger. I've never seen it. movies out of a box. huh. what a country.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:13 am

clothier wrote:
there's a "red box" in my kroger

I hate when that happens.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 pm

pastrami-on-wry wrote:

I also saw The Town. While I generally don't think much of Ben Affleck, his co-writing, directing and (surprisingly) acting in this flick are very impressive.

I've been watching Studio 60 on Netflix and wishing to hell they had figured out what that show was supposed to be about and kept it on at least a few more seasons.

The wife has been watching Thirty Something on NF, and I just realized that it took Aaron Sorkin to turn Timothy Busfield into a man. Probably the shrooms.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 am

laststandchili wrote:
The wife

Allow me to be the first:

STOP THE FUCKIN' BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 am

Watched the Green Hornet...and I was surprised that I liked it. Kind of campy like the Batman TV series.

3:10 to Yuma is on now...I like this one too.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:

I liked the Town quite a bit. Reminded me a lot of The Departed, which I really liked
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:08 pm

laststandchili wrote:
pastrami-on-wry wrote:

I've been watching Studio 60 on Netflix and wishing to hell they had figured out what that show was supposed to be about and kept it on at least a few more seasons.

Aaron Sorkin leads the league in a category my friends and I dubbed "Brilliant but Canceled," which we believe was later co-opted by Bravo or someone else and re-packaged as reruns. 'Sports Night' certainly falls into this category, as well. People will eventually realize that 'Studio 60' belongs in this category. If you do like S60, you might give the new David Kelley show a look - 'Harry's Law', which stars Kathy Bates and Nate Corddry (who played Tom Jeter on S60). The pilot just aired, but it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:09 pm

On a completely related note...is anyone else disturbed that this site has morphed into the Middle Aged Man's Movie Think Tank?
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:42 pm

That, and keeping up with the goings on down at temple.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm

it's all 95's fault.

by the way, LSC, glad to see the russian bride thing worked out for you.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:22 pm

clothier wrote:
it's all 95's fault.

by the way, LSC, glad to see the russian bride thing worked out for you.

Thanks. She's actually Estonian, but I think things will be fine as long as no one teaches her English, or how our money works.

The generosity of women is really amazing, but I certainly don't have to tell you that.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 am

no doubt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 3:28 pm

laststandchili wrote:
That, and keeping up with the goings on down at temple.

Is that the same temple Abe Lincoln was shot in?
Back to top Go down
Angus McRib
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
Angus McRib

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Has everyone seen my page on the Facebook? It's the bomb!
Back to top Go down
http://roguefood.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Social Network"   "The Social Network" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

"The Social Network"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way Off Topic :: Not Off Topic :: Things-
Jump to: