Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...

Go down 
+2
Agent 13
i95
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

Number of posts : 4130
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:22 pm

i95 wrote:
Agent 13 wrote:
Along Canal street in this same area there are many places for a young fashionista to obtain knockoffs off designer purses, sunglasses, jewelry, watches, and even clothes. A walk (always my preference) or ride north, perhaps up broadway, will get you up toward the village and more good eats and hip shopping or people watching. I have done this tour with some visitors and they loved it. They told me it was cool to see "the real new york".

Any thoughts as to where to stay (affordable hotel-wise) in this part of the "real new york" Question (Feel free to take offline and e-mail me if anyone prefers. Thinking about doing this the first weekend in March.)

I am not that knowledgable on hotels, as I never stay in one in NYC.

Check these...

http://www.hotelonrivington.com/

http://www.mercerhotel.com/

There are a lot of similar, lesser known places scattered about the area. I great way to find them is to use Google Maps...zero in on a neighborhood, and search for hotels.

I do know people who have stayed here...

http://www.hotel17ny.com/ and liked it, but I believe they have shared bathroom facilities. Kind of bed and breakfasty.

What days are you going to be here. I plan to follow you around and make your family uneasy...for that real NY experience.
Back to top Go down
https://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

This just aired last night, and was pretty good. Sorry if it's kind of on topic. Or maybe it's not. I don't know from New York.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Disappearing Manhattan
Friday, February 20, 2009 at 4:47pmHello No Reservations Fans,

As a teenager growing up just outside New York City, Manhattan – to Tony – was like living a dream. And there were institutions in that dream, some of which are still going strong, some of which are hanging on by a thread and some luck, and some of which have since disappeared. In an effort to remember 'his' Manhattan, Tony visits some of his favorites while he still can.

In this episode titled DISAPPEARING MANHATTAN, Tony and some notable guests visit some of the oldest, most classic, and undoubtedly-NY restaurants. These cherished landmarks, such as Katz's Deli, Russ & Daughters, Hop Kee, and Sammy's Romanian, have become the heart and soul of this great city and its proud and honorable culinary history rich with cultural and ethnic diversity. Unfortunately, due to the changing times, these establishments are in danger of disappearing off the NYC cultural map. Tony refers to this beautiful episode as his love song to the great city of New York.

Watch Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Disappearing Manhattan Monday, February 23 at 10pm EST on the Travel Channel.

Here is a preview video:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/TravelChannel/videos/89/

Thanks,
The Travel Channel Team

Viddler.com - No Rerservations - Disappearing Manhattan - Uploaded by TravelChannel
Source: www.viddler.com
No Rerservations - Disappearing Manhattan
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 pm

laststandchili wrote:
This just aired last night, and was pretty good. Sorry if it's kind of on topic. Or maybe it's not. I don't know from New York.

Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Disappearing Manhattan
Friday, February 20, 2009 at 4:47pmHello No Reservations Fans,

As a teenager growing up just outside New York City, Manhattan – to Tony – was like living a dream. And there were institutions in that dream, some of which are still going strong, some of which are hanging on by a thread and some luck, and some of which have since disappeared. In an effort to remember 'his' Manhattan, Tony visits some of his favorites while he still can.

In this episode titled DISAPPEARING MANHATTAN, Tony and some notable guests visit some of the oldest, most classic, and undoubtedly-NY restaurants. These cherished landmarks, such as Katz's Deli, Russ & Daughters, Hop Kee, and Sammy's Romanian, have become the heart and soul of this great city and its proud and honorable culinary history rich with cultural and ethnic diversity. Unfortunately, due to the changing times, these establishments are in danger of disappearing off the NYC cultural map. Tony refers to this beautiful episode as his love song to the great city of New York.

Watch Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Disappearing Manhattan Monday, February 23 at 10pm EST on the Travel Channel.

Here is a preview video:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/TravelChannel/videos/89/

Thanks,
The Travel Channel Team

Viddler.com - No Rerservations - Disappearing Manhattan - Uploaded by TravelChannel
Source: www.viddler.com
No Rerservations - Disappearing Manhattan

I think Tony, like many of us, longs for the slice of time when he made a lot of good memories. As a little kid I can recall hitting up a few places with my Grandfather, and hearing him lament the loss of the good old places. When my dad and I went to these same areas, he spoke about different places that marked his good old days. As I get older I hear myself talking about what used to be here or there and how I miss this or that. Bourdain is a few years ahead of me, but I know of many of the places he speaks and writes about as classic old NY.

There are still a ton of great places to experience...maybe they are just in different places.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 2:38 pm

It was definitely a personalized tour although most of the spots featured had been around for generations and clearly have broad appeal. Anyway despite being a self absorbed boomer douchetard Tony generally pulls that sort of reminicense off pretty well in my opinion.

All I know is that I'd happily eat at any of those spots.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm not much of a downtown NYC hotel expert but in doing a quick check on Quikbook it appears that there are some good hotel discount deals available now. I would check out the properties listed as either "Lower East Side" or "Soho/Tribeca" since those should be geographically proper for your needs. The site's info sheet on the property and the user reviews of each hotel should prove helpful.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:45 pm

By the way, since Georgie Boy is our resident priceline pro he may be able to help you re: how to use that site to get a great deal. Unfortunately my tiny little brain has yet to grasp the ins and outs of bidding for a room in a non-specific hotel.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 pm

OK. I'm in, I've booked a SoHo hotel for the weekend of March 7th - 8th (and via Quikbook, pow!) and thank everyone for their counsel to-date. More questions to come, I assure you but, in the meantime, thanks! :)
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:32 pm

i95 wrote:
OK. I'm in, I've booked a SoHo hotel for the weekend of March 7th - 8th (and via Quikbook, pow!) and thank everyone for their counsel to-date. More questions to come, I assure you but, in the meantime, thanks! :)

Lemme know what street or which hotel (I promise I won't show up) and I might be able to give you some real local tips. I have friends who live in the area and we have hit a lot of good places.

Send me an e-mail.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 8:53 pm

We will, indeed, continue our e-mail dialogue as your counsel has been invaluable. Gracias.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 6:20 am

are you sure you don't want to do this in public?

don't you think it would be more fun if all the perverts in the 5 borough area knew you were coming and could arrange to stalk you 24/7 while you were in the tribeca area?
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 am

I don't believe in transparency. Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 Snooty
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 am

I know that you asked for recommendations for Little Italy and Chinatown on TOS but I decided to respond here to avoid any unnecessary flare-ups.

First let's discuss the fact that you are tourists and in my mind there is no sin in making choices that contain a tinge of touristy-ness. In reality, once you've chosen to eat in Little Italy you've already decided that the venue and overall experience is more important than the food. NYC's best Italian food is definitely not found in the greatly compressed confines of the current Little Italy.

That said, I think that you would all enjoy a meal at Puglia in Little Italy. Good red sauce Italian food, big portions, reasonable prices, and properly cheesy entertainment and sing-alongs. A fun evening that the family will long remember and discuss. I would also end the evening with a trip to the very credible Ferrara for Italian pastries, espresso, etc.

In Chinatown my favorite for the good, old-fashioned Cantonese food of my youth is Big Wong. Aside from the giggles its name elicits this is a bustling restaurant that is quintessential old Chinatown. Order the classics: wonton soup, egg rolls, roast pork, roast duck, chow fun, some stir fry dishes of your choice and I guarantee a good time will be had by all. Finish the evening with a walk around Chinatown (I would not miss the opportunity to hit this mind-blowing Chinese gift shop) and wind up at the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory and order some of their unique flavors (Almond Cookie, Ginger, Black Seasme, Lychee, etc.).

Of course, numerous other choices would be equally fine but I think these are relatively sure things.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
First let's discuss the fact that you are tourists and in my mind there is no sin in making choices that contain a tinge of touristy-ness. In reality, once you've chosen to eat in Little Italy you've already decided that the venue and overall experience is more important than the food.

Especially as I'm traveling with (just) kids, I can't agree with you more, pow, and I LOVE the Puglia recommendation. In terms of Chinatown, are you referring to either Big Wing Wong and Big Wong King? (That's actually a serious question.)
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 12:04 pm

i95 wrote:
pastrami-on-wry wrote:
First let's discuss the fact that you are tourists and in my mind there is no sin in making choices that contain a tinge of touristy-ness. In reality, once you've chosen to eat in Little Italy you've already decided that the venue and overall experience is more important than the food.

Especially as I'm traveling with (just) kids, I can't agree with you more, pow, and I LOVE the Puglia recommendation. In terms of Chinatown, are you referring to either Big Wing Wong and Big Wong King? (That's actually a serious question.)

I guess that my Big Wong at 67 Mott St. is now more offically known as Big Wong King.

By the way, if you want to try something a bit more exotic at Big Wong you can order one their Congee (rice porridge) dishes, which are extremely popular with the many Chinese families who regularly dine there.

The recommendation on TOS re: the Dumpling House is a good one but that joint is more of a hit-and-run spot as opposed to a sit down meal.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 12:33 pm

M goi, pow. Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 Icon_flag_china
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 1:07 pm

i95 wrote:
pastrami-on-wry wrote:

So, uh, the lovely Mrs. i will be home alone?
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Worse, Florida. affraid
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm

i95 wrote:
Worse, Florida. affraid

Del Boca Vista?
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Georgie's place.

Her home away from home, if you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest. flash
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:40 pm

i95 wrote:
Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest. flash

Will she be doing you proud by wearing the family crest at the contest?

Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 _5444093
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

i95 wrote:
Worse, Florida. affraid

Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 MV5BMTE5ODgwOTc5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTUxNzU2._V1._SX420_SY284_

[deep voice]Hi there.[/deep voice]
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:59 pm

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 _5444093

AUDIO
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:33 am

Off to NYC, boys. Many thanks for both pow's Puglia recommendation (which we'll do for dinner) as well as Agent 13's MOST VALUED directions and counsel on this whirlwind trip.

Hope I don't get killed.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 am

i95 wrote:
Off to NYC, boys. Many thanks for both pow's Puglia recommendation (which we'll do for dinner) as well as Agent 13's MOST VALUED directions and counsel on this whirlwind trip.

Hope I don't get killed.

Well, give your kids my phone # in case you do. We are trying to hire on some new domestics here at stately WOT manor and orphans work cheap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...   Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh, Agent 13, Independent George and pow...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next