Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526
Registration date : 2008-03-05

oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... Empty
PostSubject: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

you live in Tulsa, right?

Do you belong to Temple Israel?

Did you attend services there either Friday night or Saturday morning this week?

Did they have a special guest from RAC there?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I am in Tulsa and am a proud dues paying member of Temple Israel. I am not however a regular attender of services so I was not there Friday evening or Saturday morning. I did check our emailed bulletin and found what I believe you were discussing:

Friday, January 14
Social Justice Shabbat
7:30pm Shabbat Eve Service - Guest Speaker: Mark Pelavin, Associate Director of the URJ's Religious Action Center in Washington, D.C. Mr. Pelavin is an expert in confronting the religious right, and his observations and writings have been carried in newspapers across the nation, as well as on radio and television programs.

Also, here's a link to video recordings of services. Friday, 1/14 services aren't there yet but should be shortly:

http://www.templetulsa.com/video/
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm

indeed, that's what i was refering to.

Mr Pelavin was my best friend growing up.

He's a pretty good speaker.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 am

Cool.........I'll check him out when the video is posted on the web.
Back to top Go down
bbqboy
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
bbqboy

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2009-09-24

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Where are the pictures of girls? I'm confused.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 am

you have a lovely Temple, by the way.

you should go more often.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 am

clothier wrote:
you have a lovely Temple, by the way.

you should go more often.

Yes, Mom.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

Number of posts : 4130
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 am

Wonder why he is speaking in Tulsa? I can't imagine there are any of those religious right folks out in OK??
Back to top Go down
https://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 am

Agent 13 wrote:
I can't imagine there are any of those religious right folks out in OK??

You are correct..................they were all run out of town by the Neo Nazis.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:50 pm

um, it's his job.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 am

clothier wrote:
um, it's his job.

Now I am confused...who's job is it to run the jews out of Tulsa?
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:25 pm

I saw in Variety that Aaron Sorkin had optioned a screenplay for a pilot about the jews being driven from Tulsa.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 12:02 am

laststandchili wrote:
I saw in Variety that Aaron Sorkin had optioned a screenplay for a pilot about the jews being driven from Tulsa.

I think they did that one a while back...Driving Miss Bluma?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 am

laststandchili wrote:

Is this the one where the Jews are all exiled to the affluent Dallas suburb, Plano? I believe the working title is "Texodus".
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 am

so i worked with this guy from texas a couple years ago. nice kid, grew up in roger staubach's neighborhood. i was the 1st jew that he ever met. He said there weren't any jews in dallas, and he wondered why. I told him there were plenty of jews in dallas, it's just that none of them were allowed in his neighborhood, or at his dad's country club. he came in the next day totally aghast that his dad belonged to a restricted club. No jews, no catholics, no blacks.
Welcome to the real world, kid.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 am

clothier wrote:
so i worked with this guy from texas a couple years ago. nice kid, grew up in roger staubach's neighborhood. i was the 1st jew that he ever met. He said there weren't any jews in dallas, and he wondered why. I told him there were plenty of jews in dallas, it's just that none of them were allowed in his neighborhood, or at his dad's country club. he came in the next day totally aghast that his dad belonged to a restricted club. No jews, no catholics, no blacks.

A year or so back I got a card from a local country club, which based on their bottom scraping, has fallen on some seriously hard times. They said a current member had recommended me and they invited me to check the place out. I don't play golf, or tennis, or socialize with pretentious pricks, so I have no interest in their little snobotorium, but recall when I was a kid my uncle DID want to join, but his catholicness and italianess were both insurmountable obstacles. (He may also have been a convicted felon, but none of us could get a straight answer on that.)

On the outside chance a friend really did refer me, I didn't write fuck you on the reply card, I just tossed it.

Many in the liberal north east like to point fingers at the evil, racist south, but the same shit happened here. To the south's credit, they were more honest and open in their prejudice. At least you knew who hated you.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 am

he didn't have to be from texas,he just was. could've been from anywhere.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 am

My sister-in-law, who is a real estate agent in NYC, has told me that even in "Hymietown" there are old-money buildings on 5th Ave and Madison Ave. that will not accept Jewish tenants. Of course, when the Jews are rejected by the tenant committee they trump up some reason other than anti-semitism but the reality is they just don't want to live with "those kind".
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 pm

clothier wrote:
he didn't have to be from texas,he just was. could've been from anywhere.

True, but the Texans are very open about their views.

I traveled to GE in Houston back in the 80's and these 2 engineers picked me up at the airport. On the way back to plant one said...and these were his exact words...said with heavy Texas drawl..."I don't know how you can live in NY with all them jews". This guy had no real idea who I was, what my background was, or anything, but felt free to let loose with that gem. Shocked the hell out of me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
clothier wrote:

A year or so back I got a card from a local country club, which based on their bottom scraping, has fallen on some seriously hard times. They said a current member had recommended me and they invited me to check the place out. I don't play golf, or tennis, or socialize with pretentious pricks, so I have no interest in their little snobotorium, but recall when I was a kid my uncle DID want to join, but his catholicness and italianess were both insurmountable obstacles. (He may also have been a convicted felon, but none of us could get a straight answer on that.)

On the outside chance a friend really did refer me, I didn't write fuck you on the reply card, I just tossed it.

Many in the liberal north east like to point fingers at the evil, racist south, but the same shit happened here. To the south's credit, they were more honest and open in their prejudice. At least you knew who hated you.

I heard that club started admitting Italians after the board president suddenly came down with two broken legs.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Billy Heff wrote:

I heard that club started admitting Italians after the board president suddenly came down with two broken legs.

I had nothing to do with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...   oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may... Empty

Back to top Go down

oh, Mr. POW-dude, a moment, if I may...
Page 1 of 1