Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

Goddess & lsc...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
i95
Needs Help
i95

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 pm

From the 10/9 Washington Business Journal, FYI:

Goddess & lsc... Dangerously-delicious

Ex-rocker to open pie shop on H St.

Washington Business Journal - by Missy Frederick Staff Reporter

A lot of aspiring musicians eventually figure out that rock ‘n’ roll isn’t going to pay the bills. But how many end up trading in their guitar for a pie pan?

Rodney Henry did.

The founder of Dangerously Delicious Pies, a Baltimore operation which will expand to D.C. this fall, spent 10 years touring with his band, The Glenmont Popes, and initially took up pie baking to earn some extra cash.

On his last four-month tour, he loaded up his van with his usual musical equipment, along with 60 pecan pies.

“I didn’t sell a slice of pie that time, but my accommodations, they got so much better,” Henry said. Read: His hosts were no longer throwing him in some back room of a basement anymore.

Henry then began selling pies at local coffee shops and other venues.

“At first it was enough money to maybe buy beer, go out on a date or something,” he said.

But as the pies caught on, Henry decided to try his hand at his own shop.

He opened Dangerously Delicious Pies in Baltimore’s Fells Point neighborhood in March 2003.

After seeing his business grow about six times over the years, Henry expanded the shop, which now brings in close to $500,000 a year in sales, he said.

Along the way, he has appeared on the Food Network in such shows as Paula Deen’s “Paula’s Best Dishes” and “Road Tasted With the Neelys.”

The second incarnation of Dangerously Delicious pies will be at 1339 H St. NE. Henry hopes to have it open by the first week of November.

The shop provides a venue for Henry to sell both savory and sweet pies.

He tries to experiment a lot with ingredients, particularly on the savory side — think bacon and potatoes, gruyere and chicken, even shrimp et touffe. He is working on a Mexican mole pie.

D.C. residents got a first taste of Henry’s work at the recent H Street Festival, where he showcased his pastries.

And as proof that Henry hasn’t left his musical roots behind (he still plays guitar and sings locally), Dangerously Delicious Pies will boast a 150-seat music venue in the back of the pie shop.

That project is a bit further off. Henry said those renovations will likely start in the beginning of 2010, with spring as the target for completion.

“I really feel there isn’t anywhere in the country like this,” Henry said of the shop. “There are other pie shops around, but they’re really more like diners. Here, all you get is pie — that’s it.”
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 1:19 pm

mmmm. Pie.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 8:45 am

On a related DC-area dessert note -- and again
directed at The Goddess and or laststandchili (yeah, I
know, as if they're two different people Rolling Eyes ) -- have either of
you yet been to the Bethesda or Georgetown locations of:

Goddess & lsc... 3678352646_35def0f952

http://dolcezzagelato.com/
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 am

Fraid not, I'm not very metropolitan. I've tried to stay out of the DC area after 5 years working in Hyattsville.

My most interesting food related outing recently has been stumbling onto Wegmans in Hunt Valley.
Back to top Go down

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:21 am

I think Pool Boy has been the the Bethesda locale. I will ask.

i95, have you been to Nando's Peri Peri yet? It's all chicken--perfect for you since you don't eat red meat. Nice and spicy and juicy and delicious.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 9:33 am

The Goddess wrote:

i95, perfect for you since you don't eat red meat.

Hmmm, this is very curious.............it's not the slaughtering and inhumane treatment of poor defenseless animals that upsets you, it's the color of their meat?

Perhaps the fact that my mother used to cook what was previously red meat into a state of perfect gray-ness would have suited both your palate and palette?
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 10:04 am

The Goddess wrote:
I think Pool Boy has been the the Bethesda locale. I will ask.

i95, have you been to Nando's Peri Peri yet? It's all chicken--perfect for you since you don't eat red meat. Nice and spicy and juicy and delicious.

Alas, I have not and am going to be in that neck of the woods today for lunch (but elsewhere). Have you been? Looks great. BTW, had the Concord grape variety of gelato at the above and was totally blown away. They sell their stuff at Sunday's Dupont Circle farmer's market, as well, FYI.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
...my mother used to cook what was previously red meat into a state of perfect gray-ness...

I'm sorry for your father's loss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Goddess & lsc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goddess & lsc...   Goddess & lsc... Empty

Back to top Go down

Goddess & lsc...
Page 1 of 1