Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

No Reservations: Rust Belt

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

No Reservations:  Rust Belt Empty
PostSubject: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Anyone see Bourdain this week?

Started in Baltimore, then headed to Detroit. I couldn't help but think of this den of iniquity and wit. Then he headed up to Buffalo to hang out with a crazed fan that may have been one of Steve Perry's numerous love children.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 pm

I really enjoy Bourdain but I don't find that Zamir character interesting at all. Bourdain must like him because he gives him way too much run.

As much as I like when Bourdain goes to exotic locales I really like his take on various parts of this great country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 10:11 pm

I love No Res and Bourdain, but I thought this episode was totally lame. No one place got their props. And all three places are deserving of a full episode, certainly.

I personally think his best episodes are the ones in Asia. The Sao Paulo episode was pretty wonderful, too.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 pm

I'm with POW. I think some of Tony's best work is when he's in some truly rough areas and still finds the humanity through the connections he makes with food traditions. Eating out of styrofoam containers at a lake trout joint in Baltimore, or on a roof top in Columbia. He pulls it off as well, or better than the high end sushi episodes.

Although I kind of like Zamir.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:34 am

I am Zamir.

and thanks LSC, for the kind words.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:59 am

clothier wrote:
I am Zamir.

and thanks LSC, for the kind words.

?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:16 am

Senator, I know Zamir................and you are no Zamir.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

Number of posts : 4130
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:23 am

Is Zamir the master of the pan flute?
Back to top Go down
https://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:33 am

The Goddess wrote:
I love No Res and Bourdain, but I thought this episode was totally lame. No one place got their props. And all three places are deserving of a full episode, certainly.

I personally think his best episodes are the ones in Asia. The Sao Paulo episode was pretty wonderful, too.

I hear you re: each of those locales being worthy of its own show but since his main shtick is international travel he tends to do the US in chunks (Pacific Northwest, Southwest, Rust Belt). His most disappointing US show to me was Hawaii. I know I'm this site's official Hawaii-phile but "scratching the surface" would be an understatement in describing the episode.

On the other hand, his Vietnam stuff has been revelatory and his recent visit to Patagonia was amazing. I first started watching Bourdain for the food angle (which I still love) but it's the cultural/local color aspect of the show that really keeps me coming back.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:36 am

Agent 13 wrote:

ZamFir 'tard.
No Reservations:  Rust Belt Gheorghe_zamfir
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 12:58 pm

Agent 13 wrote:

I think that our Zamir would more likely be the master of the SKIN flute.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 pm

Independent George wrote:
Agent 13 wrote:

I think that our Zamir would more likely be the master of the SKIN flute.

pound pound pound pound pound
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 1:20 pm

I think Bourdain gave short shrift to each of the locations. Every place he goes deserves its own episode if you ask me. I also thought his DC episode was lame. I think he has some good episode producers, and some lame ones. Obviously, Shemp McStooge was running the show at this one.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Pool Boy wrote:
Obviously, Shemp McStooge was running the show at this one.

Everybody knows that Curly was better.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 pm

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
Pool Boy wrote:
Obviously, Shemp McStooge was running the show at this one.

Everybody knows that Curly was better.

Curly or Curly Joe?
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Tonights episode features Street Food.

I was looking forward to this until I started to worry that perhaps Tony is running out of topics, and is resorting to cobbling together an out-takes show.

In any event I'll watch.

AL and I had a nice conversation about Lake Trout at the beach on Saturday over cigars, so thanks for that Mr. Bourdain. If Tony knew AL he'd kick Zamir to the curb and do all his globe trotting with our own WOT luminary.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 pm

laststandchili wrote:

I was looking forward to this until I started to worry that perhaps Tony is running out of topics, and is resorting to cobbling together an out-takes show.

In any event I'll watch.

AL and I had a nice conversation about Lake Trout at the beach on Saturday over cigars, so thanks for that Mr. Bourdain. If Tony knew AL he'd kick Zamir to the curb and do all his globe trotting with our own WOT luminary.

How is AL with the Pan Flute?
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
laststandchili wrote:

In any event I'll watch.

I'm not sure, but I have heard him fart several of Miles Davis' lesser known works. Really brings a tear to the eye.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 2:41 pm

laststandchili wrote:
Agent 13 wrote:

I'm not sure, but I have heard him fart several of Miles Davis' lesser known works. Really brings a tear to the eye.

If he works his way up to Sketches of Spain I may have to witness it in person
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:16 pm

I'm more partial to the cool era recordings, but that would be impressive.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:19 pm

laststandchili wrote:

I'll bet his rendition of Miles' album "In A Silent Way" is deadly.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:49 pm

this guy

No Reservations:  Rust Belt Milesoz8

has an album?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Reservations: Rust Belt   No Reservations:  Rust Belt Empty

Back to top Go down

No Reservations: Rust Belt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way Off Topic :: Not Off Topic :: Food and/or Edible Stuff-