Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies

Go down 
+2
i95
Independent George
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Empty
PostSubject: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 am

I know that your collective musical tastes run much broader than my plebeian likes and dislikes, but I was saddened to hear this morning that Steven Page left the band last week. I guess it was news last week - but, I really only heard about it today. BNL is playing at Universal Studios Mardi Gras this weekend and I was discussing going with a friend last night (who, apparently was also unaware). A co-worker was playing BNL in her office this morning and I made mention of the idea that I may be going to their concert this weekend - and she told me that I might not!

Huh.

Word is that Saturday's performance is the band's first as a quartet. I am not sure if that makes me want to go more or less. But, I am a little sad. Once again, the pin is pulled from the grenade that is my youth.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 am

Dude, seriously, how selfish can you be?? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to balance being in a band and, at the same time, managing a debilitating cocaine addiction?

Seriously, lighten-up. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 am

i95 wrote:
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to balance being in a band and, at the same time, managing a debilitating cocaine addiction?

Probably no more difficult than managing a debilitating cocaine addiction and posting on some fucked up off topic website.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

Number of posts : 4130
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 11:57 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
i95 wrote:
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to balance being in a band and, at the same time, managing a debilitating cocaine addiction?

Probably no more difficult than managing a debilitating cocaine addiction and posting on some fucked up off topic website.

Actually, that is pretty easy. LSD is a lot more of a challenge.
Back to top Go down
https://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 am

By the way, I'm deeply saddened by the news. I have great affection for BNL. Along with their generally excellent usual output, they have wowed me with some interesting one-offs:

A couple of great Chanukkah songs

Their incredibly unique Christmas song "Elf's Lament"

The very catchy/geeky/funny theme song to the sitcom "Big Bang Theory"
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Sorry for your loss. This band always seemed like one I should like, but I just never did.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 12:14 pm

They were certainly no April Wine. Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Flag_icon_canada
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Truth be told, I'm a HUGE BNL fan and Page's presence (and voice) are, to me, intregal to that band. That said, Mrs. i95 is an equal fan and caught their DC show a couple of years ago. Understandably (at least to the two of us), she went to said show with great anticipation of hearing all their hits and witty banter. Unknown to us, however, is that at least that tour (2006?), they purposely didn't play any of their hits (I'm assuming that this is some type of Grateful Dead / Phish move by which you acknowledge a "traveling / touring audience" whom doesn't wish to hear the same "hits" every single evening.)

Safe to say, she said that the much-looked-forward-to-show was horrible. No
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 pm

In a surprisingly off topic comment I just noticed that i95 has become the second WOTer to break the 1,000 post barrier. Personally I suspect steroid use and would like to petiton the Commissioner to see to it that in the future 95's post count is listed with an asterisk.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 2:55 pm

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
In a surprisingly off topic comment I just noticed that i95 has become the second WOTer to break the 1,000 post barrier. Personally I suspect steroid use and would like to petiton the Commissioner to see to it that in the future 95's post count is listed with an asterisk.

Oohh...exciting!

I'll bake him a cake!
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
I'll bake him a cake!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!We're gonna have CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies WeddingCake3
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 3:10 pm

i95 wrote:
Truth be told, I'm a HUGE BNL fan and Page's presence (and voice) are, to me, intregal to that band. That said, Mrs. i95 is an equal fan and caught their DC show a couple of years ago. Understandably (at least to the two of us), she went to said show with great anticipation of hearing all their hits and witty banter. Unknown to us, however, is that at least that tour (2006?), they purposely didn't play any of their hits (I'm assuming that this is some type of Grateful Dead / Phish move by which you acknowledge a "traveling / touring audience" whom doesn't wish to hear the same "hits" every single evening.)

Safe to say, she said that the much-looked-forward-to-show was horrible. No

I'm definitely not one of the BNL freaks, but I did enjoy them in concert on the few times I caught them. I think I saw them once in Orlando as an opener for someone else - though, I admit that I cannot remember who. I "discovered" BNL when Orlando had the greatest radio station known to man (until ClearChannel gummed the whole thing up), SHE 100.3. I am not going to search right now, but I am sure that if you Googled SHE 100.3, you could still find angry Internet rants about that once-great station. They mentioned on air that BNL was coming to Orlando, and I know that myself and a number of friends went to this concert for the sole purpose of seeing them.

I also caught them at the HORDE Festival, with Fastball, Ben Harper and Blues Traveler. Not bad for a $10 lawn ticket. The highlight of the night, overall, was BNL (for me), but also watching John Popper perform The Devil Went Down to Georgia on the harmonica was a fabulous experience.

The last show that I saw them - which has to be going on five or six years ago now, was with them as the headlining act (one and only time) and Cowboy Mouth opened for them.

In all of those experiences, they played a good concert - with music mixed from their "hits" and some of their more obscure stuff - and, of course, their famous off-the-cuff riffs on anything. You could definitely tell the people who were the freaks - the people who were singing in the audience at the top of their lungs to all of the obscure stuff. I knew some of it - but, not all - but, I still liked what I heard.

I am still not sure if it is curiosity or morbid curiosity that has me wanting to go and see this show on Saturday. Perhaps our hoops teams will win tonight and I won't ever have to make the decision.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
I'll bake him a cake!

Cool! If I may be so bold, here's what I'd prefer. Something tasteful.
Back to top Go down
Angus McRib
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
Angus McRib

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Back to top Go down
http://roguefood.com/
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Them I like...they didn't break up did they?
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 5:55 pm

i'm pretty sure messing with Joey is frowned upon around here, bub.

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies 1178833112
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm

so, back in the day, my first exposure to BNL was the from the kids who worked for me when i was working or Little Caesers.

This about 1996 or 97, I think, and they used to sing during lunch rush to keep themsleves entertained.

One payday they started sing "if i had a million dollars". In 4 part harmony. It was lovely.
Back to top Go down
Angus McRib
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
Angus McRib

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:01 am

clothier wrote:

I don't like that Howard Stern.
Back to top Go down
http://roguefood.com/

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 am

Lee Harvey Blotto was quite a talent.

And you have include this, which I believe had it's 15 seconds about the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm5qxD3CJY
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:12 am

Angus McRib wrote:
clothier wrote:

I don't like that Howard Stern.

Senator, I served with Joey Ramone: I knew Joey Ramone; Joey Ramone was a friend of mine. Senator, that is not Howard Stern.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:41 am

Joey's you CAN pick on:

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Joey-lawrence-sized

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Joey-fatone

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Joey_t
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 9:06 am

The WayOffTopic corporate hotline just rang. It was Joey Travolta's agent thanking you for the publicity. He wants you to know you can get a 15% discount for your next party, wedding or Bar Mitzvah.

Lemme know if you want his #
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 am

Agent 13, you insensitive mook. Joey Travolta recently died after suffering a seizure and while in the Bahamas. Seriously, could you be any more wrong on this matter? Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Snooty
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 am

i95 wrote:
Agent 13, you insensitive mook. Joey Travolta recently died after suffering a seizure and while in the Bahamas. Seriously, could you be any more wrong on this matter? Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Snooty

Please select response of your choice:

1) Dead is dead

2) I'm sorry for your loss.

3) Who?
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:23 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
Please select response of your choice:

1) Dead is dead

2) I'm sorry for your loss.

3) Who?

I'd prefer option # 4:

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Kelly_Preston2060

Which is commenting that the Kelly Preston stand-up sex
scene early in the movie "Jerry Maguire" was hot as hell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breakup of Barenaked Ladies   Breakup of Barenaked Ladies Empty

Back to top Go down

Breakup of Barenaked Ladies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next