No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
Agent 13
Needs Help

Number of posts : 4129
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Hey, that is the wrong Palin. Rumor has it that its the chick in the red dress...

Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help

Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
Hey, that is the wrong Palin. Rumor has it that its the chick in the red dress...

Or perhaps 95 is correct and it's the dude in the red lumberjack shirt. Y'know, I've heard he's a lumberjack and that's okay.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:10 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:

Or perhaps 95 is correct and it's the dude in the red lumberjack shirt. Y'know, I've heard he's a lumberjack and that's okay.

Well of course its okay. I mean who doesn't like buttered scones for tea?
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 am

Excuse this most rare of forays into online politics here but I thought that the below op-ed in today's Denver Post was particularly both on-target as well intriguing re. the whole "naughty librarian" pick. (Imagine the change in political landscape should McCain have [more rightly] chosen Christine Todd Whitman. Crying or Very sad )

Winning on a Hail Mary is a bad call

By John Thompson
Article Last Updated: 09/03/2008 06:15:16 AM MDT

There's a BIG difference between winning on a Hail Mary and winning on a bad call.

In a play dubbed "The Miracle at Michigan" on Sept. 24, 1994, in a game between Colorado and Michigan, 100,000 stunned fans watched University of Colorado quarterback Kordell Stewart (later of the Pittsburgh Steelers) fling a no-time-left ball 70 yards to Michael Westbrook in the Michigan end zone for the winning score. (What's more, the ball was tipped in the end zone.)

Years later, my dad (from Big 10 country) and I (a CU alum) were watching Colorado play and I realized he was silently rooting for the other team.

When I asked why, his response was: "I guess because I'm still mad about that CU Hail Mary pass that beat Michigan."

He was mad. And I understood. But really, you have to let go of a Hail Mary that works.

Bad calls are something else. The blogosphere is rich with rants over NFL bad calls. The Seattle-Pittsburgh Super Bowl XL (2006) seems to be a lightning rod for such posts.

And, though bad to lose on a bad call, no one wants to be defending their win ad infinitum due to an officiating gaff. Yet, they'll cling to that win. So, how does this tie in to our November election? A couple of ways:

"To serve as vice president beside such a man would be the privilege of a lifetime, and it's fitting that this trust has been given to me 88 years almost to the day after the women of America first gained the right to vote," Sarah Palin said.

What's troubling is Palin's choice of words. It's the bad call. See, for her, this is a "privilege of a lifetime" like winning a big game.

So, who lost this time? Folks, it's not Hillary. No, McCain (and Limbaugh, and Hannity, and Savage) worked hard to see Mrs. Clinton was not in the game at all. So, who lost because Palin won? How about:

Jodi Rell, governor of Connecticut.
Like Obama, Rell served in the State Legislature (but in the lesser House, not Senate as did Obama), then she served as lieutenant governor for three terms, then became governor. Then was re-elected governor.

Rell received more votes in that re-election than there are people (plus polar bears) in all of Alaska.

Olene Smith Walker, former governor of Utah.
Walker also served in the State Legislature, including a term as Majority Whip. Unfortunately, her party trashed her re-election bid and she was not on the ballot for the next election.

Linda Lingle, governor of Hawaii.
Since Lingle is only sitting governor (for two terms) of the state of Hawaii just twice the population of Alaska I'll move along.

Judy Martz, former lieutenant governor and former governor of Montana (and former Olympic speed skater).

Christine Todd Whitman, former governor of New Jersey, and former administrator of the EPA under George Bush (2001-2003).
While at the EPA, she produced a report, later dismissed by President Bush, itemizing the anticipated effects of global warming on the United States. This puts her more in line, we're told, with McCain than is Palin (who disclaims the scientific consensus of man's influence in global warming).

Whitman is also a director of Texas Instruments and of United Technologies. She is deeply involved in energy consulting and is a nuclear power advocate. She even worked on Nelson Rockefeller's campaign.

I'll leave it to the reader to look at our nation's fine female senators and representatives, present and past, and those women who may be past or present mayors of the 16 cities in the U.S. bigger than the state of Alaska.

Some of these women I list have an "issue" hanging in their closet (as do many public figures). To their detriment, these issues were not played out in a big political arena as were Palin's "Trooper-gate," her "bridge-to-nowhere support flip-flop," her "with Stevens before I was against him" plays, and her mini-pork barrel funded hockey arena as mayor of a town a little bigger than my high school.

So, if this "lifetime privilege" is her big win, Sarah Palin has won by bad call. And I'm not referring to her decision to leave for Washington with the nagging family responsibilities of a 4-month-old Down Syndrome baby and her pregnant, unwed 17-year-old daughter.

This bad call was not her decision. Really, it's "just part of the game. And she's clinging to her victory.

Enough about the bad call. It's still McCain's Hail Mary. And that's something that's not been duplicated in sports, or ranted upon in the blogosphere: a bad call on a Hail Mary.

John Thompson lives in Boulder.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This online-only guest commentary has not been edited. Guest commentary submissions of up to 650 words may be sent to openforum@denverpost.com.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 am

i95 wrote:
Excuse this most rare of forays into online politics here but I thought that the below op-ed in today's Denver Post was particularly both on-target as well intriguing re. the whole "naughty librarian" pick. (Imagine the change in political landscape should McCain have [more rightly] chosen Christine Todd Whitman. Crying or Very sad )

I guess I understand where this author was going with this, but palin is WAAAAAY better looking than christine todd whitman.

I mean if you are in line for one of the biggest jobs in town, and there is a chance you may have a late night or two in the oval office, who are you going for...

or

Now don't get me wrong, if I was president (hmmm...that could be a song title) I'd be going way up the hot chick food chain, but if left to decide between these two, is there really a choice?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:15 am

i95 wrote:

Linda Lingle, governor of Hawaii.
Since Lingle is only sitting governor (for two terms) of the state of Hawaii just twice the population of Alaska I'll move along.

Linda Lingle would've been an interesting choice for another reason. According to all reports, McCain really wanted Joe Lieberman (he's a Jew, y'know) as his runnung mate but his advisors talked him out of it in favor of Ms. Palin (a woman).

Lingle would've offered McCain the double whammy of selecting a woman and a Jew all in in one package. Yes, boys and girls, the Governor of Hawaii is a Jewess. SHALOM-HA!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:23 am

And there's also the fact that Gov. Lingle and Pres. Bush seem kinda close.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
i95
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:05 am

Agent 13 wrote:
I mean if you are in line for one of the biggest jobs in town, and there is a chance you may have a late night or two in the oval office, who are you going for...

Agent 13, you superficial turd. Did you even give
thought to that bastion of female Republican hotness
known as Senator Olympia Snowe (R-Maine)?:

Audio
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:37 am

Look, if you 2 can't settle your differences without resorting to childish name-calling I'm going to have to call in my favorite governmental hottie to mediate:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:38 am

i95 wrote:

Agent 13, you superficial turd.

You act like this is some sort of surprise!

This is a REAL Italian politician. Makes me want to move to Italy or at the very least, salute their flag...

Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 am

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
Look, if you 2 can't settle your differences without resorting to childish name-calling I'm going to have to call in my favorite governmental hottie to mediate:

Okay, okay...I'll stop.

Sorry.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 am

(Alls I'm saying...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 am

i95 wrote:

(Alls I'm saying...)

I hear ya there chief...

Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

i95 wrote:

How about putting the shoe on the other foot and compiling a list of democratic presidential nominees that would have made a lot more sense than the junior senator from Illinois.

What's that?

The internet isn't big enough?

Oh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:45 pm

laststandchili wrote:

How about putting the shoe on the other foot and compiling a list of democratic presidential nominees that would have made a lot more sense than the junior senator from Illinois.

What's that?

The internet isn't big enough?

Oh.

Two words my friends...Pat Paulsen

The fact he is dead is not an issue, I mean how much better off would we be if a host of current politicians were pining for the fiords?
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:47 pm

(Afterall and now more than ever, we need a true man of the people. elephant )
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Sadly, I will be away for a few days and by the time i get back the Caribou barbie may have decided that taking care of her newborn and soon to be grand daughter is more important. (And please note I did not slander either). But if she is still in the race, I really can't wait to discuss her qualifications and what a stellar choice Sen. McCain has made.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:01 pm

Angry Liberal wrote:
Sadly, I will be away for a few days and by the time i get back the Caribou barbie may have decided that taking care of her newborn and soon to be grand daughter is more important. (And please note I did not slander either). But if she is still in the race, I really can't wait to discuss her qualifications and what a stellar choice Sen. McCain has made.

Just so I am prepared, are we going to discuss her qualifications as far as her being hotter than most other options (Joe Lieberman not withstanding) or her qualifications as a politician? If the latter, I got nothing.

Oh, and I like that Caribou Barbie crack. I hadn't heard that one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:28 am

I can't remember a better looking candidate for any major political office.
On that, i think, we can all agree.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:55 am

Angry Liberal wrote:

Um...

...excuse me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Agent 13
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:48 am

Angry Liberal wrote:

Well, since our political candidates seemed packaged, scripted and marketed by advertising people, who is better qualified?

I mean the likes good looking chicks and guns demographic has got to be HUGE!!

I heard this was his first choice...until he found out she was old.

Back to top Go down
Cathy Rigby
Off Topic A Lot!
Off Topic A Lot!

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Angry Liberal wrote:

She is from Alaska.

That is reason enough to be qualified.

Well that, and her speeches are all original content.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i95
Needs Help

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Palin for VP!   

Back to top Go down