Way Off Topic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exactly

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

do any of ya'll...

Go down 
+3
Independent George
pastrami-on-wry
clothier
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

Number of posts : 3526
Registration date : 2008-03-05

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 am

do any of you know anyone that has ever been to Haiti?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

Number of posts : 3289

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 am

My sister-in-law used to shoot commercials and promo videos for Club Med and in that capacity had gone a few times to their club in Haiti. That club was closed in the mid to late '90s due to the political unrest there.
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:08 am

Our women's soccer coach is from there. He's a great guy - easily the most positive person I have ever met.

His dad died. His mother and sister were among the unaccounted list for over 36 hours. They have been found - injured, but alive.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:15 am

shut up george, no one wants your up-lifting stories over here.

i was just wondering if the rubble was an improvement?
and isn't all this fresh water and food they are getting something some of them have never seen before?
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 am

Independent George wrote:
easily the most positive person I have ever met

Considering who you hang out with this is not really that impressive.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

Number of posts : 4130
Registration date : 2008-03-04

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:47 am

clothier wrote:
shut up george, no one wants your up-lifting stories over here.

Answering for George...

Back to top Go down
https://wayofftopic.darkbb.com
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-05-07

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 am

One of my employees is from there and recently returned from a visit with family there.

His mother's house was destroyed and he lost 3 siblings.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:01 pm

laststandchili wrote:
One of my employees is from there and recently returned from a visit with family there.

When it feels appropriate, ask your employee when and where people can start sending "stuff". I have sent some $$, but they keep saying the people have no clothes. I have a lot of stuff that is new that was given to me by people who are unaware of my increased gravitational burden.
Back to top Go down
bbqboy
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
bbqboy

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2009-09-24

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
laststandchili wrote:

When it feels appropriate, ask your employee when and where people can start sending "stuff". I have sent some $$, but they keep saying the people have no clothes. I have a lot of stuff that is new that was given to me by people who are unaware of my increased gravitational burden.
Mets Jerseys? Sansabelt slacks?
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 pm

bbqboy wrote:

No, that is the stuff that fits. Those sansabelts really got some give!
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
bbqboy wrote:

No, that is the stuff that fits. Those sansabelts really got some give!

Dude if you have Sansabelts send them my way.

I sent my Redskins Jersey collection down earlier in the week and they were returned yesterday. Upside is some of the postage on the package is really pretty.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
I have sent some $$

Although the bleeding heart liberal side of me really wants to do something to help the suffering people of Haiti, the cynical side of me knows that the odds of anything that is donated actually reaching its proper destination is slim. Various 9/11 funds and the aftermath of Katrina taught us that even the best-intentioned of these charity efforts fail to properly distribute what they collect.

I fear that the best we can hope for from tomorrow's telethon is that in a fit of pique Wyclef Jean might look into the camera and declare, "Barack Obama doesn't care about brown people".
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
Agent 13 wrote:
I have sent some $$

Although the bleeding heart liberal side of me really wants to do something to help the suffering people of Haiti, the cynical side of me knows that the odds of anything that is donated actually reaching its proper destination is slim. Various 9/11 funds and the aftermath of Katrina taught us that even the best-intentioned of these charity efforts fail to properly distribute what they collect.

I fear that the best we can hope for from tomorrow's telethon is that in a fit of pique Wyclef Jean might look into the camera and declare, "Barack Obama doesn't care about brown people".

I went with the Red Cross. They seem pretty reputable, or else they are just really good thieves, having been at it for many, many years.
Back to top Go down
pastrami-on-wry
Needs Help
pastrami-on-wry

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Agent 13 wrote:
pastrami-on-wry wrote:
Agent 13 wrote:
I have sent some $$

I went with the Red Cross. They seem pretty reputable, or else they are just really good thieves, having been at it for many, many years.

A combination of greed and corruption on the receiving end and the overly wasteful practices of most charitable organizations (although the Red Cross is rated better than many other charities there are still definite issues there) make the amount collected to amount distributed ratio somewhat woeful. That said, I appreciate the fact that those who contribute really have their hearts in the right place.
Back to top Go down
bbqboy
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
bbqboy

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm

http://givingaid.richarddawkins.net/
Bookmark and Share

15 January 2010

Non-Believers Giving Aid: a religion-free way to help disaster victims

Aid Been Given Spurred by the horrific suffering in Haiti, the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (RDFRS) has joined forces with 13 other freethought groups or associates, to collect donations to non-religious relief organizations. Those participating are Atheist Alliance International, Atheists Helping the Homeless, Atheists United, The British Humanist Association, James Randi Educational Foundation, Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, New Humanist magazine, Pharyngula, Rationalist Association, Reasonable New York, The Reason Project, The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, The Skeptics Society and Unreasonable Faith.

We have set up a new dedicated bank account and PayPal facility in the new name of Non-Believers Giving Aid. All of the money donated will be distributed to disaster relief.

Clearly the immediate need is for the suffering people of Haiti, and all the money raised by this current appeal will go to that cause, but the new account will remain available for future emergencies too. There are, of course, many ways for you to donate to relief organizations already, but doing it through Non-Believers Giving Aid offers some advantages:

1. 100% of your donation will be go to these charities: not even the PayPal fees will be deducted from your donation, since Richard will personally donate a sum to cover the cost of these (capped at $10,000). This means that more of your money will reach the people in need.

2. When donating via Non-Believers Giving Aid, you are helping to counter the scandalous myth that only the religious care about their fellow-humans.

It goes without saying that your donations will only be passed on to aid organizations that do not have religious affiliations. In the case of Haiti, the two organizations we have chosen are:

* Doctors Without Borders (Médecins sans Frontières)
* International Red Cross

You may stipulate using the dropdown menu which of these two organizations you want your donation to go to; otherwise, it will be divided equally between them.

Preachers and televangelists, mullahs and imams, often seem almost to gloat over natural disasters – presenting them as payback for human transgressions, or for ‘making a pact with the devil’. Earthquakes and tsunamis are caused not by ‘sin’ but by tectonic plate movements, and tectonic plates, like everything else in the physical world, are supremely indifferent to human affairs and sadly indifferent to human suffering. Those of us who understand this reality are sometimes accused of being indifferent to that suffering ourselves. Of course the very opposite is the truth: we do not hide behind the notion that earthly suffering will be rewarded in a heavenly paradise, nor do we expect a heavenly reward for our generosity: the understanding that this is the only life any of us have makes the need to alleviate suffering even more urgent. The myth that it is only the religious who truly care is sustained largely by the fact that they tend to donate not as individuals, but through their churches. Non-believers, by contrast, give as individuals: we have no church through which to give collectively, no church to rack up statistics of competitive generosity. Non-Believers Giving Aid is not a church (that’s putting it mildly) but it does provide an easy conduit for the non-religious to help those in desperate need, whilst simultaneously giving the lie to the canard that you need God to be good.

Whether you do it by clicking the PayPal button or by cheque (see below), please help us to help the suffering people of Haiti.

Important note for UK donors – please read carefully

If you are a UK taxpayer, please make it possible for us to claim Gift Aid on your donation. Gift Aid means that every £10 you donate becomes £12.82. We aim to have Gift Aid-compatible electronic donation facilities in place for future emergency appeals, but until then we would urge you to donate by cheque rather than to use the PayPal facility below, and to enclose a completed Gift Aid Declaration with your cheque. Please make your cheque payable to RDFRS, and make sure you write ‘NBGA’ on the reverse of it, along with the name of your preferred charity (MSF or IRC) if appropriate. If you simply write ‘NBGA’ on the reverse, without the addition of MSF or IRC, your donation will be evenly divided between them. Then post it, along with your completed Gift Aid Declaration, to the Oxford address shown below. RDFRS will not retain any part of your donation or any Gift Aid we are able to reclaim on it.

Donations made via the PayPal button below are still very welcome, and will still make a huge difference to the people of Haiti; but donations by cheque + Gift Aid Declaration will go further still, and we hope that this thought will help to compensate for any inconvenience. Thank you!
Donate Now

Donation Amount

Do you have a donation preference?

Additional Options

Proceed with Donation through PayPal

PAYMENTS CAN BE MADE WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD - A PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS NOT REQUIRED
(We will not share your information with any other organization).

Due to security issues, we cannot give out our wire information.
To donate by check (thereby bypassing the PayPal fee):

If you are in the US, make your check payable to Non-Believers Giving Aid and post it to:

Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
11605 Meridian Market View
Unit 124 PMB 381
Falcon, Colorado 80831 USA

If you are in the UK, make your cheque payable to Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, write NBGA and
your choice of charity (if applicable) on the reverse, click here to download and complete your Gift Aid declaration
if you are a UK taxpayer, and post everything to:

Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
Suite 184
266 Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 7DL
Great Britain

Organizations and supporters actively involved in this effort:
(We would love to add more organizations to the list: contact rec@RichardDawkins.net)
Atheist Alliance International
Atheists Helping the Homeless
Atheists United
The British Humanist Association
James Randi Educational Foundation
Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers
New Humanist magazine
Pharyngula
Rationalist Association
Reasonable New York
The Reason Project
The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science
The Skeptics Society
Unreasonable Faith

US tax is reclaimable on donations (EIN 98-0634772) RDFRS is exempt from Federal income tax under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Contributions are deductible under section 170 of the Code. We are also qualified to receive tax deductible bequests, devises, transfers or gifts
under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Code. RDFRS UK: Registered Charity Number 1119952
that's from our absent goddess
Back to top Go down
Independent George
Internets Tool
Internets Tool
Independent George

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-06

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Doctors Without Borders would seem to be a very good pick for this particular situation.

From the stories keep coming department....

I am familiar with Lynn University in Boca Raton only in that they play in our athletic conference. They had twelve students and two faculty in Haiti doing a charity project - a trip that the school has sponsored for years. They were staying at the Hotel Montana. Apparently, eight students were outside the hotel at the time of the quake and are now home safely, reunited with their families. Four students and two professors remain among the missing. I am not going to share with you the full content of the email that I received from my colleague at Lynn, but one takeaway point really struck me:

They estimate that 70% of the country is in ruin. Can you imagine? 70% of our country would be what? Everything west of Ohio? Or should we just pick our favorite 15 states at random in some sort of lottery drawing?
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 pm

pastrami-on-wry wrote:
That said, I appreciate the fact that those who contribute really have their hearts in the right place.

I just do it to pick up chicks.
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Richard Dawson?

Corporal Newkirk is running a fund raising company?
Does Colonel Hogan know about this?
Back to top Go down
clothier
Needs Help
clothier

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Independent George wrote:
Doctors Without Borders would seem to be a very good pick for this particular situation.

From the stories keep coming department....

I am familiar with Lynn University in Boca Raton only in that they play in our athletic conference. They had twelve students and two faculty in Haiti doing a charity project - a trip that the school has sponsored for years. They were staying at the Hotel Montana. Apparently, eight students were outside the hotel at the time of the quake and are now home safely, reunited with their families. Four students and two professors remain among the missing. I am not going to share with you the full content of the email that I received from my colleague at Lynn, but one takeaway point really struck me:

They estimate that 70% of the country is in ruin. Can you imagine? 70% of our country would be what? Everything west of Ohio? Or should we just pick our favorite 15 states at random in some sort of lottery drawing?

i question all these stats that keep popping up. How much of the country was in ruin before the earthquake? How many of these people had no clean water and not enough food to eat?
why is it we were content to let them live in misery before, but now are compelled to help? what about all the other starving people in the world? do they need to suffer an even greater disaster before we help them too?
Back to top Go down
bbqboy
Unable to Focus
Unable to Focus
bbqboy

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:47 pm

clothier wrote:
Richard Dawson?

Corporal Newkirk is running a fund raising company?
Does Colonel Hogan know about this?
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 12:09 am

clothier wrote:

i question all these stats that keep popping up. How much of the country was in ruin before the earthquake? How many of these people had no clean water and not enough food to eat?
why is it we were content to let them live in misery before, but now are compelled to help? what about all the other starving people in the world? do they need to suffer an even greater disaster before we help them too?

I don't think it is fair to say anyone...or maybe everyone...was content. There were a lot of charitable groups working hard down there before this event. Many of them died doing their deeds in relative obscurity. Maybe those starving people do need a disaster for the average guy to notice, but there are plenty of folks who were paying attention before.
Back to top Go down
i95
Needs Help
i95

Number of posts : 4315
Registration date : 2008-03-07

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 7:32 am

All of this Haiti talk only reminded me of the ol'
SNL parody commercial for "Bad Idea Jeans"...

do any of ya'll... Bad%20Idea%20Jeans

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29142196

...most notably David Spade's line
about the Caribbean country.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 am

Agent 13 wrote:
clothier wrote:

I don't think it is fair to say anyone...or maybe everyone...was content. There were a lot of charitable groups working hard down there before this event. Many of them died doing their deeds in relative obscurity. Maybe those starving people do need a disaster for the average guy to notice, but there are plenty of folks who were paying attention before.

Ag13 seems to be protesting a bit too much. I'm beginning to think he's merely vying for the attention of his new Haitian Au pair.

And can someone give BBQboy the Longest Friggin Post award already. My scrolling finger is cramped horribly.
Back to top Go down
Agent 13
Needs Help
Agent 13

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:39 am

laststandchili wrote:

Ag13 seems to be protesting a bit too much. I'm beginning to think he's merely vying for the attention of his new Haitian Au pair.

No more au-pairs around here. Sleep with a few nannies and you are branded for life.

Not protesting, just pointing out the faulty logic behind the "if I don't know it is happening it isn't" mindset. As I have said before, the nuns told me at an early age my seat was being warmed in hell, so good deeds are pretty pointless to me.
Back to top Go down
laststandchili
Underachiever
Underachiever
laststandchili

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 am

Agent 13 wrote:
laststandchili wrote:

No more au-pairs around here. Sleep with a few nannies and you are branded for life.

Not protesting, just pointing out the faulty logic behind the "if I don't know it is happening it isn't" mindset. As I have said before, the nuns told me at an early age my seat was being warmed in hell, so good deeds are pretty pointless to me.

It's difficult to pick and choose among the vast number of needy and desperate to try to assist, and it's easy to forget about the condition of most of the planet here in the first world.

Personally I try to do my part by giving to charities that assist retired exotic dancers and those that suffered career-ending, pole-related incidents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

do any of ya'll... Empty
PostSubject: Re: do any of ya'll...   do any of ya'll... Empty

Back to top Go down

do any of ya'll...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way Off Topic :: Not Off Topic :: Clothier's Den of Warmth and Sincerity-
Jump to: